A good candidate for LASIK must meet a set of requirements before the surgery can be performed. During your initial consultation at Doctors For Visual Freedom Laser Center, you will be given a thorough screening to see if you meet this standard set of requirements before we move on to the next stage of pre-surgical evaluation. Most people with standard far- or near-sightedness will have very little trouble qualifying for this very safe and popular procedure.
General Requirements for LASIK Surgery
During your initial screening, we will give you a series of tests and you will be asked a number of questions about your medical and visual history to help determine your eligibility for LASIK surgery. Some of the general requirements for LASIK include:
- The eye or eyes must be properly developed and mature. For this reason, a good LASIK candidate must be at least 18 years or older.
- There should be no history of Herpes in the eye. LASIK surgery could potentially cause a flare-up of the virus.
- You must not be pregnant or nursing within three months of the time of surgery.
- Those with autoimmune disorders such as Lupus or Sjorgen's syndrome may not be good LASIK candidates
- Those with dry eye syndrome need this treated before they become good candidates for LASIK.
- Scarring on the cornea or abnormally shaped corneas can also disqualify you for LASIK.
Good Candidates for LASIK
A good candidate for LASIK surgery normally has myopia, hyperopia and/or astigmatism. There is no age limit for LASIK. If you wear contacts, you will be asked to remove them for a week or more depending on the type of contacts you use. Contacts, especially hard contacts, have the effect of reshaping the eye, and the eye needs to get back to its original shape and size before surgery. The initial consultation to determine eligibility can, however, be performed if you are still wearing contacts.
Medications and Eligibility
Certain medications and drugs can have a drastic effect on the results of LASIK surgery. Immunosuppressants or steroids can have an effect on how the eye heals after surgery. Other drugs and medication can cause side effects similar to dry eye syndrome, which can affect the outcome of the surgery. Please divulge any and all medications you are currently taking to your doctor during your initial consultation.
If you live in Chicago or Arlington Heights, Illinois and are interested in finding out whether or not you are a good candidate for LASIK surgery, please contact our Chicago LASIK surgeons today to schedule your free screening evaluation.